Saturday, May 11, 2013

[Ruby] Run multiple MiniTest files in command line without other setup required (Rake, ...)

MiniTest is a great, simple build-in test framework for Ruby. We can use immediately without anymore setup beside installing Ruby. But there's an annoying limitation when starting a project that we can only run one file at a time via command line. Try to execute many files with "ruby *" doesn't help.

Here's the simplest way to run multiple minitest files I can think of
ruby -e "Dir.glob('**/*_spec.rb').each { |f| require File.expand_path(f) }"
Change suffix _spec to _test for test-unit style file.

2 comments:

Ryan Davis said...

`rake` is much simpler.

TAP said...

Hey Ryan,

I rethink again, you're right. Rake is not that hard and a lot cleaner. I would say they are equally hard for starting tiny project as I need to look up for the reference to user it for both cases.

When I was writing this blog, it is the first time I get a chance to play with Minitest. As an RSpec-only user, requiring rake to run the test felt alienate to me.

Thanks for make me reconsider rake again

Config number of file descriptors on Linux

Check file descriptor limit for a process. Vary depending on owner of the process $ cat /proc/{process-id}/limits Check current number of...